LAP-BAND and other bariatric surgeries may not be appropriate for everyone. Before scheduling your surgery, Dr. Choi will want to go through a screening process with you to determine whether or not you qualify for LAP-BAND surgery.
The general qualifications for LAP-BAND surgery are:
- You have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or greater, indicating extreme obesity.
- Your BMI is between 30 and 40, and you have an obesity-related health condition like sleep apnea, type 2 diabetes, heart disease or hypertension.
- You have been unsuccessful in your efforts to lose weight through traditional means like dieting or exercising.
Specific qualifications that Dr. Choi will consider before LAP-BAND surgery include:
- Your weight and nutrition history. Your surgeon will take into consideration your weight trends over the years, including your dietary habits and any attempts you’ve made at dieting in the past.
- Lifestyle habits. Dr. Choi will want to know your average alcohol intake as well as any smoking habits. These may slow recovery after surgery, increase the risk of problems and hinder progress.
- Your medical condition. This may entail a complete lab workup to determine any preexisting conditions you may have. Your bariatric surgeon will also take into consideration your level of risk for certain disorders which might be increased by surgery.
- Your psychological state. Certain mental health disorders may factor into your eligibility for gastric band surgery because they may hinder your ability to maintain the lifestyle habits needed after surgery. Eating disorders, addictions, chronic stress, depression and anxiety disorders are all issues that may not completely prevent you from undergoing surgery, but Dr. Choi may want to postpone the procedure until after you’ve gone through appropriate treatment, and any existing disorders have been managed.
- Motivation. Your willingness and potential ability to follow through with the lifestyle changes post-surgery will be evaluated.
- Age. There is no age limit on gastric banding procedures. However, you are increasing the risk of complication if you are over the age of 65, and persons under age 18 may require special permission.
If you believe you are a good candidate for LAP-BAND surgery, contact us to set up a consultation with Dr. Choi, and start researching what you can expect from your gastric band surgery.