Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery
Sleeve gastrectomy is a weight loss surgery option that reduces the size of your stomach to limit your food intake. This laparoscopic bariatric surgery is an effective option in which Dr. Choi removes about 85% of the stomach. With only a small portion of your stomach remaining, you will eat less because you feel satisfied with smaller amounts of food.
As a result, many patients see weight loss of 50 to 70 percent of their excess body weight after surgery.*
Sleeve gastrectomy is useful for those who are struggling with severe obesity or are obese and suffering from an obesity-related disease such as type 2 diabetes or hypertension.
How Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery Works
During a sleeve gastrectomy procedure, the part of the stomach that is removed is the part that is linked to appetite and hunger. This part of the stomach is largely responsible for producing the hormone ghrelin which, when released, alerts your brain to eat for satiety. With the reduced stomach size and the decreased levels of ghrelin, you will feel full faster and stay satisfied longer. This, along with the proper lifestyle changes after surgery, leads to weight loss.
How it’s done:
- First, Dr. Choi will make several small incisions in your abdomen.
- A small camera will be inserted through one of the incisions, allowing your doctor to see the interior of your abdomen through a television monitor.
- Thin surgical instruments will then be inserted through the remaining incisions to perform the surgery.
- Dr. Choi then removes a large part of your stomach, sealing the remaining portions with surgical staples.
- Your remaining stomach will be shaped like a narrow tube.
A sleeve gastrectomy procedure generally only lasts about 45 to 60 minutes and may require you to stay overnight after your surgery.
Benefits of Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Minimal scarring
- Short hospital stay
- No rerouting of intestines
- Eliminates the portion of the stomach that stimulates hunger
- Doesn’t introduce a band or foreign object into the body
Sleeve gastrectomy can also improve some of serious health conditions* including:
- Type 2 diabetes
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Sleep apnea
- Heart disease
Possible Risks and Complications of Sleeve Gastrectomy
While the possibility of developing a complication from your sleeve gastrectomy is low, possible risks include:
- Sleeve leaking
- Blood clots or infection
- Nausea and vomiting
Determining if Sleeve Gastrectomy is Right for You
Sleeve gastrectomy does not require any rerouting of your digestive system, or any foreign objects to be introduced to your body. Because a portion of your stomach is removed, sleeve gastrectomy is a permanent procedure, unlike LAP-BAND that can be adjusted and/or removed. Many people find the inability to reverse sleeve gastrectomy to be appealing and select this surgery because of this.
If you are struggling with obesity, sleeve gastrectomy may the appropriate weight loss option for you. Dr. Choi with offices in Miramar and Hialeah, Fl., can provide you with a professional, safe and effective weight loss procedure. One that is unique to your lifestyle and your specific needs.